The purpose of this course is to educate and reinforce the knowledge of Nurses; ARNP, CNS, RN, LPN, Therapists and CNA /HHA who are working in the health care environment, as well as other students/ individuals regarding Child Abuse and Neflect, strategies for recognizing and preventing abuse, clinical manifestation of abuse, risk factors associated with child abuse, interventions, education campaigns to prevent abuse, review of some ways in which Pediatricians and other health professionals can screen for child abuse. This course also provides a review of laws regarding child abuse, neglect, dependency and physical injury; who should report, when to report to the Department for Community Based Services, review of the 72hr hold by physicians and hospital administrators and review of the emergency custody order (ECO) and what to expect after making a report.
After successful completion of this course the Professionals /students will be able to:
1. Define child abuse and Neglect.
2. Discuss Pediatric Abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome) and preventative
3. Describe clinical manifestation of abuse
4. Discuss strategies for recognition abuse
5. Discuss laws regarding child abuse, neglect, dependency and physical injury
6. Discuss risk factors associated with child abuse
7. Discuss strategies and interventions, education campaigns to prevent abuse
8. Describe some ways in which Pediatricians and other health professionals can
screen for child abuse.