This course was designed to provide the health care professionals; Nurses, LPN, RN, ARNP, students, Medical Assistants, Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), Home Health Aids (HHA), as well as other Professionals with the opportunity to review the Hemodialysis procedure, various disorders affecting the kidneys such as: Renal papillary necrosis, Kidney cancer, acute renal failure, chronic renal failure, End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), Infection prevention procedures while working with the hemodialysis patient, some nursing careplans with interventions and rationales.
After successful completion of this course the participants will be able to:
1. Describe the anatomy and physiology of the Renal system,
2. Discuss disorders and disease of the kidneys/ renal system such: Renal papillary necrosis, Kidney cancer, acute renal failure, chronic renal failure, End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).
3. Describe the purpose of hemodialysis
4. Describe Infection prevention procedures while working with the hemodialysis patient
5. Discuss dietary modification and restrictions for hemodialysis patients
6. Discuss the Graft, fistula and catheter access used for hemodialysis
7. Describe effects of hemodialysis on the patient’s body and interventions
8. Discuss Renal Osteodystrophy
9. Discuss Sleep Disorders patients frequently experience
10. Discuss Anemia and Erythropoietin (EPO) treatment.