PEDIATRIC ABUSIVE HEAD TRAUMA
"SHAKEN BABY SYNDROME" 1.5 HR
The purpose of this course is to educate and reinforce the knowledge of Nurses; ARNP, CNS, RN, LPN, OT/OTA , Licensed Midwifery and other professionals, CNA /HHA who are working in the health care environment, as well as other students/ individuals regarding pediatric abusive head trauma “shaken Baby Syndrome”, strategies for recognizing and preventing pediatric abusive head trauma, clinical manifestation of abusive head trauma, risk factors associated with child abuse. This course also provides a review; law regarding child abuse, neglect, dependency and physical injury; who should report, when to report to the Department for Community Based Services, review of the 72hr hold by physicians and hospital administrators and review of the emergency custody order (ECO) and what to expect after making a report.
After successful completion of this course the Professionals /students will be able to:
1. Define pediatric abusive head trauma
2. Describe prevention of pediatric abusive head trauma
3. Describe clinical manifestation of abusive head trauma
4. Discuss strategies for recognition of pediatric abusive head trauma
5. Discuss Kentucky law regarding child abuse, neglect, dependency and physical injury
6. Discuss risk factors associated with child abuse
7. Discuss strategies and interventions, education campaigns to prevent abuse
8. Describe some ways in which Pediatricians and other health professionals can
screen for child abuse.