The purpose of this course is to review issues related to medical errors, medication errors, various types and cause of errors, ways to avoid errors, importance of effective communication among the Health care team, and regulations in place to ensure patient safety. This course complies with the Florida Statute requirements: Section 456.013(7), Florida Statutes, requires completion of a two hour course relating to prevention of medical errors as part of the renewal process for licensure...
At the conclusion of the class the participants will be able to:
1. Describe the importance of preventing medical errors
2. Define Adverse medical incident / Sentinel Events
3. Describe methods of preventing medical errors
4. Discuss regulations in place to prevent and address medical errors
5. Discuss various causes of medical errors
6. Describe some of the effects of medical errors
7. Describe appropriate methods to identify patients
8. Explain the Rights of medication administration
9. Describe procedures for telephone orders
10. Discuss processes that will improve patient outcomes
11. Discuss procedures for reporting
12. Explain documentation requirements/ guidelines
13. Discuss Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA), Root Cause analysis.
14. Describe the impact of medical errors and the effect on patient safety.