The purpose of this course is to review some of the requirements / regulations and policies within the Nursing Home /long term care setting, to educate and reinforce the knowledge of nurses; ARNP, RN, LPN, Therapists, CNAs, other professionals who are working in the Long Term care environment, as well as individuals who would like to work within this setting. Review of Policies regarding Resident rights, activities of daily living (ADLs). Review of the requirements for the plan of care and the MDS/ RAI the Comprehensive assessments. Review of the guideline for proper documentation and legal aspects. The course also reviews the clinical record review requirements, the Certified Nursing Assistant’s (CNA) role with assisting with the activities of daily living.
After successful completion of this course the students will be able to:
1. Identify basic resident rights
2. Describe how the resident rights may impact nursing practice
3. Apply principles of resident rights to nursing practice
4. Describe measures to protect the resident’s rights
5. Define Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
6. Describe measures to respect the resident’s rights
7. Discuss the importance of confidentiality and privacy of residents’ information
8. Identify ways to promote the residents’ rights
9. Describe the Nursing Home regulations and services that are usually provided
10. Describe the requirements for the plan of care
11. Discuss the guideline for proper documentation and legal aspects.
12. Describe the CNA role with assisting with the activities of daily living